Current IssueAFA18 - July 2023
We Need to Talk about America
An Alliance in Flux
The eighteenth issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines Australia’s evolving ties with the United States as the power balance in Asia changes and as Washington continues to face bitter domestic divides.
We Need to Talk about America looks at the future of the alliance in an era in which the US’s global role and stature – which once seemed so constant – are becoming less stable and less certain.
- Sam Roggeveen examines whether deeper US military ties and nuclear-powered submarines will leave Australia less safe.
- Emma Shortis argues that Canberra has a rare historic opportunity to overhaul the US alliance.
- Michael J. Green analyses the US’s evolving approach to Asia and its embrace of regional partners as it seeks to counter Chinese coercion.
- Dennis Glover looks at the role of Australia in ensuring the US defends liberal democracy in the face of rising authoritarianism.
- Andrew Carr explores the potential for state and local governments to have a greater involvement in Australia’s foreign policy and diplomacy.
- Mary-Louise O’Callaghan ponders the achievements and missteps of the Australian-led RAMSI intervention in Solomon Islands.
PLUS Correspondence from Zhou Fangyin, Bernard Yegiora, Nic Maclellan and Luke Fletcher, and more.
Sign up to become a friend of
AUSTRALIAN FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Next IssueAFA19 - October 2023
The New Domino Theory
Does China really want to attack Australia?
The latest issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines China’s ultimate goals as an emerging superpower, including the extent of its territorial ambitions.
The New Domino Theory looks at Australia's place in China’s long-term plans and at the threat – if any – that Beijing poses to Australian security, politics and society.
- Power play: What does China want from Australia?
- Uncommon destiny: How Beijing sees the world
- Agents and influence: Inside the foreign interference threat
- No daylight: Behind the Labor-Coalition consensus on AUKUS and China
PLUS Correspondence on AFA18: We Need to Talk About America, The Fix, and more