Free Postage Within Australia
Forthcoming IssueAFA8 - February 2020
Can We Trust America?
A Superpower in Transition
The eighth issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines the changing status of the United States as its dominance in the Asia-Pacific faces challenge from China and its “America First” foreign policy marks a shift away from global engagement.
Can We Trust America? looks at the uncertainties for Australia as questions arise about the commitment of its closest ally.
- Michael Wesley argues that a shift towards US unilateralism may pose a crucial dilemma for Australia.
- Felicity Ruby delves into the revealing history and future of Australia–US partnerships on intelligence and military surveillance.
- Brendan Taylor argues that the United States’ role in Asia may not be as vital as we think.
- Kelly Magsamen offers insight into how the United States sees its role in Asia into the future.
- John Blaxland on how to form meaningful and intimate ties with our Pacific island neighbours.
- Helen Clark on Samantha Power’s The Education of an Idealist and the role of foreign policy advisers.
- Nick Bisley on Rory Medcalf’s Contest for the Indo-Pacific and Australia’s role in this new regional order.
- Jacinta Carroll on Brian Toohey’s Secret and the making of Australia’s security state.
- Christopher Kremmer on K.S. Komireddi’s Malevolent Republic and what the rise of India means for Australia.
- Correspondence on AFA7: China Dependence.
Sign up to receive the latest from
AUSTRALIAN FOREIGN AFFAIRS