Free Postage Within Australia
Current IssueAFA4 - October 2018
The fourth issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines the challenge of defending Australia at a time of regional uncertainty and fast-changing military technology. It explores the nation’s main vulnerabilities and the capabilities needed to secure against them, including the consequences of a nuclear arms race in Asia.
- Michael Wesley examines the state of Australia’s security as Asia’s power balance shifts.
- Patrick Walters probes the overhaul of Australia’s expanding intelligence agencies.
- John Birmingham analyses Australia’s weapons capabilities as the military expands its reach.
- Stephan Frühling explores Australia’s options for developing nuclear weapons to protect its maritime approaches.
- Jane Perlez discusses the West’s misjudgement of Xi Jinping, China’s leader for life.
- Matthew Thompson examines Rodrigo Duterte’s murderous rule in the Philippines.
- Tess Newton Cain reports on mining in the Pacific region.
PLUS Correspondence from Philips Vermonte, John McCarthy, Andrew MacIntyre and more.
Australian Foreign Affairs News
Sign up to receive the latest news and exclusive offers.
Next IssueAFA5 - February 2019
Are We Asian Yet?
History Versus Geography
The latest issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines Australia’s struggle to define its place in Asia as it balances its historic ties to the West with its geography.
Are We Asian Yet? explores Australia’s changing population, outlook and identity as it adjusts to the Asian Century.
- David Walker: ‘Great Australian divide: The Western outpost faces the Asian century’
- Linda Jaivin: ‘As China rises, can its culture conquer the world?’
- George Megalogenis: ‘Migrant flows: The new Australians and the nation’s changing identity’
- Sarah Teo: ‘The view from Asia: Can Australia be one of us?’
- Feature reviews on India's youth, China and climate change, identity politics and more
- Correspondence on AFA4: Defending Australia