Next IssueAFA6 - July 2019
Our Sphere of Influence
Rivalry in the Pacific
The latest issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines Australia’s struggle to retain influence among its Pacific island neighbours as foreign powers play a greater role and as small nations brace for the impacts of climate change.
Our Sphere of Influence explores the security challenges facing nations in the southern Pacific and whether Australia will need new approaches to secure its relations and interests.
- Hugh White: “In denial: Can Australia win the Pacific’s great game?”
- Katerina Teaiwa: “First victims: Climate change as an existential threat”
- Jenny Hayward-Jones: “Island diplomacy: How Canberra can secure its Pacific interests”
- Sean Dorney: “Papua New Guinea divides: Inside the forgotten colony”
- x5 book reviews from leading experts, including award-winning journalist Elizabeth Becker.
- New feature The Fix, offering solutions to foreign policy problems.
- Richard Cooke’s The Back Page, explaining and demystifying key foreign policy jargon.
- Correspondence on AFA5: Are We Asian Yet? History vs Geography
Australian Foreign Affairs News
Sign up to receive the latest news and exclusive offers.
Free Postage Within Australia
Forthcoming IssueAFA7 - October 2019
Australia’s new vulnerability
The latest issue of Australian Foreign Affairs explores Australia’s status as the most China-dependent country in the developed world, and the potential risks this poses to its future prosperity and security.
China Dependence examines how Australia should respond to the emerging economic and diplomatic challenges as its trade – for the first time – is heavily reliant on a country that is not a close ally or partner.