Free Postage Within Australia
Current IssueAFA4 - October 2018
The fourth issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines the challenge of defending Australia at a time of regional uncertainty and fast-changing military technology. It explores the nation’s main vulnerabilities and the capabilities needed to secure against them, including the consequences of a nuclear arms race in Asia.
- Michael Wesley examines the state of Australia’s security as Asia’s power balance shifts.
- Patrick Walters probes the overhaul of Australia’s expanding intelligence agencies.
- John Birmingham analyses Australia’s weapons capabilities as the military expands its reach.
- Stephan Frühling explores Australia’s options for developing nuclear weapons to protect its maritime approaches.
- Jane Perlez discusses the West’s misjudgement of Xi Jinping, China’s leader for life.
- Matthew Thompson examines Rodrigo Duterte’s murderous rule in the Philippines.
- Tess Newton Cain reports on mining in the Pacific region.
PLUS Correspondence from Philips Vermonte, John McCarthy, Andrew MacIntyre and more.
A first-rate contribution to these necessary public debates. The highlights are Michael Wesley on the erosion of our strategic security; Patrick Walters’s incisive overview of how and why the Australian intelligence community is being reshaped; and Stephan Fruhling’s reflection on the ‘unthinkable’ proposition that Australia should acquire nuclear weapons.
Australian Foreign Affairs News
Sign up to receive the latest news and exclusive offers.